Thursday, July 16, 2009

My Good Deed

It's been forever since I've given blood. Probably since high school....and I've only done it once. It's one of those things that I rarely think about (shameful, I know) and I'm sure I'm not the only one out there. The other evening some of the neighbors and I were sitting outside and one of them suggested that we come to her church for a blood drive they were having. I disregarded it at first (again, shamful, I know) but as we started to really talk about it, it got me thinking. One of the neighbors was telling us how her grandfather had doner cards inches high from all the times he had donated his blood and she repeated to us something he use to say to her as a little girl. He said "Donating blood is the one thing you can do for someone that they can't do for themselves." Those are pretty powerful words! So I decided that the following day (yesterday) I would head up and donate a pint!!

Off we went..yesterday afternoon. Aiden was having a very off day to begin with and I hesitated bringing him with me, however, I didn't have anywhere else to take him. We got half way there and he was still screaming and crying and I thought about turning around, but thought, NO..I'm going to do this!

Rebecca (my neighbor who's church it is) was there and informed me that there was a nursery where the kids could sit and play while the parents went through the proces (by the way...forgot how long it can take). Well...Aiden was not having any part of this trip. As soon as I left him in the nursery he began to cry. And not just the whiny cry...the I'm dying, can't breathe cry. As I lay there on the cot with a needle in my arm, I could hear him down the hall, crying his little eyes out. I'm surprised my bag didn't fill in record time from high blood pressure. I felt so bad for the other people who were trying to donate in peace and here I was with a little banchee, disrupting the whole lot of them.

When I was finished we sat at the snack table together and he was happy as a clam...eating cookies and drinking out of a "big boy" bottle....ahh my little clingler!

I guess I shouldn't feel that bad though...I did do a GOOD DEED after all!!

1 comment:

ROBYN said...

Nothing worthwhile in life is ever easy. You persisted even under difficult circumstances to put others needs before your own.

You are showing Aiden how to give the best gift of all, Love