Sunday, July 25, 2010

Mommy, they left me.

There are several little girls that have taken a particular liking to Aiden in our neighborhood. One of them owns an electric scooter and it's become Aiden's favorite thing. When we arrive home from school each day Keeley and her scooter are the first things he ask for.

The other day Keeley had a friend over for the evening and both girls came to play with Aiden. They took turns riding him around on the scooter and he was having the time of his life. Later in the evening I went outside to get him ready for bed and he was standing on the sidewalk crying hysterically. Naturally I ran over to see if he was hurt and when I didn't see any scratches I asked him what was the matter. He pointed off into the distance and said "Mommy, they left me". When I looked up I could see Keeley and her little friedn riding off into the distance on her scooter. I looked back at Aiden and for a brief moment my heart broke a little for him. I tried to get him to understand that Keeley was a big girl and that she and her friend wanted to do big girl things together, but he didn't understand a bit. I just picked him up and gave him the biggest hug and together we retunred inside.

It was the first of many times, I'm sure, that I will have to console him.

No comments: