Wednesday, September 9, 2009

The Great Escape (Part 2)

My children, and by children I mean kid and dog, sometimes amaze me (and anger me). On Monday Luke had to work so it was Aiden and I all day hanging out. Since I'm on a television hiatus, I decided to take Aiden outside to spend some time with bubbles and sidewalk chalk. While we were out there I trimmed my rose bush and got some beauties to bring inside. Once we were done, we headed inside which resulted in a tantrum of epic proportions. I left Aiden at the door and headed into the kitchen to put the roses in some water. After only, what felt like, seconds I turned the corner to find the front door wide open and dog and child nowhere in sight (Keep in mind that when we came in I locked the door and locked the dead bolt as well).

All the other moms out there can attest to my inital reaction of DREAD as I ran to the front door, leaving the roses behind laying on the ground. As I reached the door I could see Aiden standing on our front porch looking up at me with this look of triumph on his face, given the fact that he had returned outside once again! From Aiden, I glanced up across the street and there went MacKenzie...sprinting as fast as he could in the opposite direction. All I could say was "OH CRAP".

I dashed across the street, dropped Aiden off with my neighbor (thank goodness they were home) and darted down the street after my pain in the rear dog. TEN MINUTES LATER....we returned home.

Needless to say, we have babyproofed the front door along with every other door in our home now. I guess it's better that I find out now that Aiden can open the dead bolt than later, right??

No comments: